Still standing as a restored inn and restaurant, Captain James Cass’s House is in downtown Cayucos. It was originally built between 1867 and 1875. At that time Cayucos was composed of Captain Cass's store, warehouse, private dwelling, pier.
All of the building materials were transported by ship along the coast from San Francisco. The house is a two-story wood structure with a jerkinhead style roof. It was originally painted a light buff with brown trim, and surrounding the house were very-well-kept lawns and gardens. The interior was just as impressive with four etched glass doors imported from England. Captain Cass's house was the town's show place and social center during the late 1800’s.