The Cambria Community Cemetery officially know as the Cambria Cemetery District, truly the only California cemetery in the pines by the sea. The cemetery began in 1870 by land donated by George Leffingwell and deeded to the San Simeon Masonic Lodge in 1877. In 1940, the San Luis Obispo County set up boundaries and created special districts for the 11 cemeteries in the county. Of the wooden headstones 80 have no names as they have washed off over the years and records were poorly kept. Most of the children that died at childbirth prior to 1900 have no first names.