The School House was originally built in 1901 and is now a hands-on museum for historical exploration and learning. Restored to its original state, the School House is supplied with student’s chairs, historical books, maps, blackboards and photographs. Used until 1957 in its original location it was then moved to save it from flooding due to the construction of the Lopez Lake Reservoir. It was moved again in 1999 to Short Street in Arroyo Grande near the Swinging Bridge and is open for visitors.
To see all of the locations along the Highway 1 History & Heritage Trail, check out our interactive map.