In 1851, the first hotel was erected in San Luis Obispo by Captain William Dana. The walls were made of adobe, the roof of sheet iron, the timbers were hauled by oxen from Santa Rosa Creek, and the flooring and doors were brought from the East Coast. The building was so opulent that it became known as Casa Grande. The hotel and adjoining grounds hosted all day galas, bull fights and bear-baiting events. The building was later turned into a courthouse and served in that capacity until 1870.