Montaña de Oro means “Mountain of Gold” in Spanish and refers to the beautiful golden wildflowers still found on the hillsides today. The Montaña de Oro State Park headquarters, museum, and gift shop is housed in the historic Spooner Ranch House built in 1892. The house with the spectacular view overlooking the sea and historic Smuggler’s Cove is the main house on the once 8,000 acre Rancho Canada de los Osos y Pecho y Islay. The Spooners planted grain and field crops, ran dairy and beef cattle, and slopped hogs with creamery waste. During the 1920s and 30s, they leased ocean terrace land to Japanese pea farmers. Except for the highest slopes, every acre visible from the ranch house was under cultivation. At least 18 outbuildings, a water-powered creamery, and a cliff side loading chute for coastal steamers once clustered near the Spooner's “Smuggler” Cove.