Originally named “The People’s Wharf” a pier was built in 1876 at Avila Beach (near to where today’s Avila Pier is located). It included a narrow-gauge railroad from the end of the pier to a warehouse in Avila Beach. This pier was destroyed in a major storm in early 1878. The present day Avila Pier was constructed by the County of San Luis Obispo in 1908. Not as well protected as the Harford Pier, it sustains major storm damage throughout the years and is repaired after each event.