Founded in 1890, the Point San Luis Light Station has remained the beacon over San Luis Bay and saved many lives for 128 years. The two-story main light keeper’s structure is considered prairie Victorian or prairie Gothic in its design. The architect Paul J. Pelz designed many lighthouses in the late 1800’s up and down the pacific coast. There were two other identical lighthouses in California, one at Table Bluff near Humboldt and the other at Ballast Point near San Diego. Of the three, Point SLO is the only remaining lighthouse of its design.
Still maintained as an active light station by the U.S. Coast Guard, its light blinks one second on/four seconds off, every night, and is visible up to 17 miles away. The station is operated as a historic site open to visitors who can reach the property by shuttle van or by hiking with the Pecho Coast Trail Guides, or by a short kayak from Whalers Beach.