The chapel on the cemetery grounds was the first church built in San Luis Obispo County in 1850 after the establishment of the missions. The chapel served the community for 91 years, and among its congregation included guests of William Randolph Hearst such as Gary Cooper and Bing Crosby.
The cemetery was established in 1870. The earliest born person interred in the cemetery was born in 1798. The cemetery, gardens, and walkways are on 12.2 acres of land in the middle of the largest stand of Monterey Pines in the state of California. Over 1,200 trees are on the grounds ranging from Monterey pines, coastal live oaks, Toyon trees, California Pepper trees, and various other native flowers and grasses. Headstones range from inscribed granite rock, metal, military issued, to beautiful carved marble. Of the old wooden headstones 80 have no names as they have worn off over the years but still stand.
To see all of the locations along the Highway 1 History & Heritage Trail, check out our interactive map.